Get ready to meet your new favorite brownie!
Don't you just hate it when you crave something you KNOW is very unhealthy? It usually happens to me every minute of the day =P I have a HUGE sweet tooth and it's always a pain trying to talk myself out of eating that really unhealthy 'I'm going to regret this later' snack. When I would crave brownies, I would usually make them from scratch, but that too with butters, sugar, and oil.. all the bad stuff basically.
I hated the feeling I would get after. Not only would I feel bloated and gross, but it always made me want to work out twice as hard (and if you know me, you know how much I don't like to work out). I decided to tear my old recipe apart and start from scratch, but with ALL NATURAL ingredients instead - NOTHING UNHEALTHY!
I swapped the oil out for applesauce, the egg out with a banana, and sugar out with agave nectar. It took me a few tries, but the end result was amazing! I love how customizable this recipe is too. If you don't want applesauce then you can use non-dairy yogurt instead or if you don't want to use a banana then swap it out with a pureed avocado.
Note: if you want an every fudgier (is that even a word?) brownie, then just mix the batter for a little bit longer and add an additional 2 tbsp of water.
**When you buy something using the links in our posts, we may earn a small commission.'
1 ripe banana (make sure it's very ripe to ensure maximum sweetness)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup GF baking flour or blanched almond flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup water
1/2 - 1 cup vegan chocolate chips (optional)
salt to taste
Time to bake:
1. Preheat oven to 325º
2. In a stand mixer add your banana and mix until completely smooth and there are no chunks remaining.
3. Add in the remaining wet ingredients (minus the water) and mix on medium speed for 30 seconds to 1 minute
4. Add in all your dry ingredients and mix on low and gradually increase the speed. Mix for 1 minute
5. Once the mixture is well combined, add the 1/4 cup of water and mix on medium-high speed for 1-1.5 minutes.
6. If you want to add the chocolate chips, then add in HALF of your chocolate chips (save the rest for later) and fold them into the batter. Do not over mix.
7. Prepare you square pan by lining it with parchment paper - this recipe is 100% oil free so no cooking spray was used in the pan either.
8. Add the batter into the pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the batter
9. Bake in the over for 20-25 minutes.
10. Let cool for at least 10-15 minutes before cutting. If you're impatient like me, then cut right away and enjoy :)